| This article is under the scope of the Episode Cleanup Project and has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality. It may contain errors, spelling, grammar and structure issues, or inconsistent formats. Reader's discretion is advised until fixing is done.|
You can help clean up this page by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate.
"The Last Laserdisc Player" is the thirty-second episode in Season 4 (and one hundred-ninth episode overall) of Regular Show. It first aired on June 24, 2013.
The guys need to obtain a Laserdisc player in order to watch the director's cut of a cult classic.
At the house, Mordecai is seen struggling to lift a box with Rigby, Muscle Man, and Hi Five Ghost laughing at him. Mordecai eventually askes Muscle Man to lift the box himself which Muscle Man agrees to. Muscle Man barely lifts the box and goes flying into several other boxes while something comes out of one of them. Mordecai picks up the object and reveals it to be an extremely rare "21-12 Time Attack: Directors Cut" on laserdisc. The group is excited by their find but realize they need a laserdisc player in order to watch it. Muscle Man says he knows a place and takes the group to TV Store Warehouse. Muscle Man runs into Timmy and asks him for a laserdisc player. Timmy taunts Muscle Man saying the only place that carries laserdisc players is the Library and Timmy and another employee then laugh. Mordecai and Rigby then drag Muscle Man away to the Library.
At the Library, Mordecai is looking up laserdisc players on the computer with Muscle Man growing impatient. Two men overhear the group trying to find a laserdisc player and urges them to use a VCR instead. Mordecai and Rigby tell them that they need a laserdisc player and the men warn them saying they are making a mistake and the two mysterious men walk off. Soon, Mordecai and the rest figure out that there is one more laserdisc player available and they walk over to the archivist, Archie, to request one. However, Archie insists that he doesn't have one but Muscle Man could tell he is lying. Archie, out to prove he isn't lying, takes the group to the basement where he shows them the empty spot of the laserdisc player. Archie tells the group that all of the laserdisc players in the world have been wiped out but Mordecai then shows the tape. Archie, excited, tells the group a story about four chosen ones will reunite the last laserdisc with the last laserdisc player. It goes into a flashback on how this group known as the Ancient Order of the VHS destroyed nearly all of the laserdiscs and laserdisc players in the world and how he is the keeper of the last one. Archie then leads Mordecai, Rigby, Muscle Man, and Hi Five Ghost to the back while the man from earlier, revealed to be named SP, tells LP to "fast forward."
In a different room, Archie tells the group about the four statues that are named the Guardians of Obsolete Formats and how they will protect the holders of the laserdisc player. Mordecai, Rigby, Muscle Man, and High Five Ghost then activate the Guardians and the last laserdisc player soon appears. As the group leave, they are ambushed by SP and LP and the rest of the Ancient Order of the VHS. SP tells the group that he is glad that Mordecai and the rest revealed the last laserdisc player and prepare to destroy it then a fight breaks out. The Guardians of Obsolete Formats easily gain the upper hand until a large VHS Robot is send out. The VHS Robot easily overpowers the Guardians and Archie tells Mordecai, Rigby, Muscle Man, and High Five Ghost to place the laserdisc on his chest while they chant. They do so and Archie soon transforms into the Laserdisc Guardian and begins to wipe out the Order. The Laserdisc Guardian then takes out the VHS Robot and the group celebrates.
Back at the house, Mordecai, Rigby, Muscle Man, High Five Ghost, the Guardians, and the Laserdisc Guardian are watching the movie. Mordecai complains on the length of the movie while the group groans on how much longer it lasts. However, they all then comment that the picture is great.
- Muscle Man
- Hi Five Ghost
- Archie the Archivist
- Guardians of Obsolete Formats
- SP and LP
- Ancient Order of the VHS
- Tape Rewinders
- Some of the lines LP said (ex. VHS, the VH-Best) can be seen on posters at the scene where a man was walking in an alley trying to hide a LaserDisc but was caught by two members of the Ancient Order of the VHS.
- Realistically, there is at least more than one functioning laserdisc player in existence.
- Shortly after Archie transforms into the Laserdisc Guardian, Timmy from back at the TV Store Warehouse enters the library and says that he was just fired, and asks Muscle Man if he can hang out. Then, he is zapped in the crossfire. This is similar to an instance from "Rage Against the TV" where an employee, named Jimmy, enters the house and announces that he was just fired. He then asks if he can crash for a couple of days, but is immediately blasted by the Hammer.
- There is a sequel to this episode in Season 6, named "Format Wars II."
- There are Format Wars in reality where providers of different formats compete for the same market. There's also a social force in format wars where one side wins as de facto standard video format. The format wars in this episode are a reference to the Format Wars of the 1970's where LaserDisc competed against VHS, but despite its high quality image, chapter select, and widescreen image, it failed to garner widespread acceptance. Soon enough, LaserDisc was replaced by DVD, making VHS the de facto standard video format between 1982 and 2002.
- The guys chants "Sic Semper Fidelity" to transform Archie into the Laserdisc Guardian. This is based on the Latin phrases "Sic Semper Tyrannis", meaning "thus always to tyrants", and "Semper Fidelis", meaning "always faithful". "Semper Fidelis" is the motto of the US Marine Corps.
- When one foot soldier of the Ancient Order of the VHS is fighting one of the Guardians of Obsolete Formats by himself, he was first fighting the Floppy Disk Drive Guardian. But when the foot soldier threw a VHS grenade at the Guardian, he is suddenly fighting the Betamax Guardian.
- When the VC-Aribtrator lands in the library, Timmy and his co-worker and the people who created the LaserDisc are seen in the crowd despite the fact we never see them enter the library, and Timmy doesn't enter the library until the LaserDisc Guardian kills the rest of the Ancient Order of the VHS.