| This article is under the scope of the Episode Cleanup Project and has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality. It may contain errors, spelling, grammar and structure issues, or inconsistent formats. Reader's discretion is advised until fixing is done.|
You can help clean up this page by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate.
"Survival Skills" is the seventh episode in Season 5 (and one hundred-twenty third episode overall) of Regular Show. It first aired on October 14, 2013.
Mordecai and Rigby are in charge of bringing Benson tortillas.
The episode begins with Benson, Skips, Pops, Muscle Man, Hi Five Ghost, Rigby, Mordecai, and Thomas all outside, listening to Benson who is making a presentation about surviving in the wilderness. They are in a remote area in the woods, away from the park. However, Mordecai and Rigby aren't listening to Benson; instead, they are playing handheld video games. When Benson is done, he tells Mordecai and Rigby to get tortillas so that they can make quesadillas. Rigby and Mordecai protest, because they thought Benson was going to grill burgers. Benson tells them that he had reminded them many times that they were having quesadillas, then sends Mordecai and Rigby to the store to get them. They leave the wilderness to go back to civilization to buy the specific tortilla Benson as perscribed and the two joke about Benson's threats.
As they are driving back from the store, they notice that they are running late, so they take a "shortcut" that is an unpaved road through the woods. As they go deeper and deeper in the woods, Rigby says he didn't put fuel in the cart; as a result, the cart runs out of fuel, and stops. Mordecai tries to use the phone to contact Benson, but there is no signal.
Mordecai decides that they have to walk, but as they are walking, they come to a fork in the road. They start to walk through trees and bushes, cross a river, and go down a mountain. After this, it becomes nighttime, and they are lost. Rigby knows that they have to get something to eat. Mordecai says not to eat the tortillas, so they try to eat tree bark.
Suddenly, Mordecai looks at Rigby and Rigby looks 8-bit as a result of Mordecai seeing things. Rigby looks at Mordecai and sees him as a taco. Mordecai asks Rigby where he got the idea of eating tree bark, and Rigby says that it was a show where people go crazy from eating things that aren't food. They both start imagining crazy and weird illusions. After this happens, they decide that they needed to find real food, and that they needed to try to remember from Benson's wilderness presentation. They remember Benson saying to wear laying to survive the cold, so they make coats out of the tortillas.
Many days pass by, and Mordecai and Rigby have survived by remembering what Benson had said about survival. They made tools out of tortillas. Eventually, after many days, it starts to snow. Rigby and Mordecai both think they are going to die, but then Rigby remembers Benson saying that they needed to find a cell phone signal. Mordecai gets out his phone only to see that there is 1% battery remaining. They both run in the snow, trying to find a cell phone signal before the phone dies. When they find a signal, they call Benson and hear Benson's phone ringing two meters away. They look to see Benson, Pops, Skips, Muscle Man, Hi Five Ghost, and Thomas standing there in the same place as before. Benson says that he knew all that was going to happen, and Thomas reveals that they actually hadn't been out for days, and it had only been a few hours. Benson also says that he has backup burgers, but tells Mordecai and Rigby not to touch and ruin the burgers.
- It is unknown why Mordecai and Rigby had beards when they were only gone for a few hours.
- The bear that Mordecai and Rigby chased away was probably Thomas due to the horns on its head. Mordecai and Rigby might have seen him as a bear due to their tree bark hallucinations.
- This episode foreshadows the return of CJ later in Season 5 and the love triangle that forms between her, Mordecai, and Margaret in Season 6.
- During the hallucination, Don can be seen holding a bag of sugar. This is a reference to his debut episode, "Don".
- When Mordecai and Rigby eat bark of a tree, the moment was similar to the time when the night-shift clerks were laced on drugs in the pilot short "2 in the AM PM."
- The is is the second time Benson's phone ringtone is heard, the first being in "Wall Buddy."
- Towards the end of the episode, Rigby's line was "See you on the other side." was modified. Outside of America, it is changed to "In 50 years, I'm probably gonna die of natural causes." so no one would think that Rigby is about to die.