| This article is under the scope of the Episode Cleanup Project and has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality. It may contain errors, spelling, grammar and structure issues, or inconsistent formats. Reader's discretion is advised until fixing is done.|
You can help clean up this page by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate.
Mordecai and Rigby are sent back in time to 1982 after attempting to prank call their prank-calling idol, the Master Prank Caller.
Mordecai and Rigby are watching a funny video about a famous prank caller, who is nicknamed "The Master Prank Caller" on WooHoo when they decide to pick up the phone and become prank callers themselves. The victims are Pops, Skips, and Benson, and always using the term "Joe Mama" on each call (from the MPC on WooHoo). They attempt to prank The Master Prank Caller himself, but Benson furiously storms in and destroys the phone as a "prank." They instantly decide to use Pops' phone. They find him ironing a shirt, but he is too busy taking a call with "Joe Mama." Pops allows them to use his old 80s phones but warns them of the possibilities of brain tumors.
Mordecai and Rigby each wrap tinfoil around their heads (to prevent brain tumors) and call the Master Prank Caller. Mordecai goes first to prank, joking that he had 50 pizzas that the MPC "ordered," but it turns out that he had ordered 50 pizzas along with hot wings that he needed to be brought over. He quickly hangs up, and Rigby goes next. He passes himself off under the pseudonym of "Stan," but ends up adding "Stanminson" when he's asked for a surname. The MPC warns them to stop calling him, or they would pay. Mordecai and Rigby still attempt to prank him but to no success. They finally get a call from the MPC, who tells them that he had warned the two, and says, "The 1980's called. They want their cell phones back!" to which Mordecai and Rigby are sucked into the phone and transported back to the '80s.
When they spit out of the phone, they think they are back at the park. Mordecai asks a nearby Pops to "tell Rigby everything's fine," to which he turns revealing his younger face. They then discover that they are in the '80s. Mordecai and Rigby are surprised at Pops' difference and his not knowing of them, and find a couple of B-boys dancing. Rigby tries asking them if they noticed anything strange, only for them to get "barfed out" and leave. It is then Rigby finds out they are in the 80s, more specifically, 1982. They try to call the MPC and apparently send him to the 60s. However, the MPC escapes out of the phone (being a literal cell phone with arms and legs) and begins dialing himself. Mordecai and Rigby escape with a golf cart, with the MPC hot on their track. They are called again by the MPC, who says that the 80s still wanted their phones back, to which Mordecai and Rigby dressed instantly in 80s-apparel to their grave horror. They get a second call to which Rigby begs him to leave them alone, only to get dressed in heavier apparel along with Mordecai, who desperately tells Rigby to call someone...
…who turns out to be Pops, Skips, and Benson in the present time. Rigby explains the situation to Pops, who passes it onto Benson, who hears about the problem. He thinks it's a prank, and from this, Rigby uses the Master Prank Caller's prank on him on Benson, and all three are transported to 1982 and reappear on the back seat of the golf cart. As they are driving, Mordecai accidentally hits a younger Pops (which probably explains why he is a scatterbrain in the present.). The MPC appears right by the five in a limo, even attacking them by running into their side. Skips instructs Mordecai to hold the wheel steady, as he leaps onto the MPC's limo, and later on claims its utter destruction. The MPC breaks out still, as the five run directly into an electronics store. Mordecai hatches a plan using a tape recorder...
Everyone runs back and hides in the bushes as the MPC calls. Mordecai's recording plays, keeping on saying things like, "Hello?" as if no one was there. This angers the MPC, who reappears and finds out he was pranked. While he cries out, everyone ambushed him. Despite his struggles, the MPC cannot break free. Mordecai finally instructs Rigby to hit the power button. Rigby scurries up the MPC and pushes the power button, and the MPC, powerless, falls to the ground. Moments after Mordecai and Rigby celebrate their title, a bright light protrudes from the MPC, which Mordecai claims is the way out.
The five find themselves in a long hallway full of doors leading to serval years. After a while of searching, Benson finally finds the door leading to the present time. The MPC gets their attention, being old and wrinkly. He pleads for Mordecai and Rigby to take him with them, which they do.
In the end, all three prank Benson, transporting the chair he was sitting on back to the 70s.
- Though J.G. Quintel stated that the show took place in the 90's, there is a part in this episode where Mordecai and Rigby were sent to the 80's, the time traveling sequence shows a series of number that were meant to be years. The highest number seen in the moment was "2004", so the Season 1 of the series could have possibly taken in that year.
Pop Culture References
- The Web browser that Mordecai & Rigby used to watch videos of The Master Prank Caller "Woohoo!" is a spoof of the actual Web Browser "Yahoo!".
- The 1980s cell phones Mordecai and Rigby use feature the ringtone found on some models of Panasonic phones from the late 1990s and 2000s.
- This episode received 2.088 million views.
- The scene where Mordecai & Rigby are laughing while watching The Master Prank Caller's videos is the Regular Show variant of Cartoon Network Studios logo.
- Despite this, the audio in the logo variant was used from "Death Punchies."
- When Mordecai and Rigby go to the 80s, the trees are small. However when they escape from the Master Prank Caller, the trees have grown much bigger.
- When Mordecai and Rigby travelled to the 80s, the tin foil they put on their heads had disappeared.
- The past version of Pops in this episode is shown to have no mustache. However, any instance later on in the series shows past Pops with his iconic mustache in years prior to this episode's events.
- This was probably done to distinguish Pops' past self from his present self.
- Rigby saying, "Holy Crap." was changed to "Holy Crud."
- Mordecai saying "Crap!" was changed to "Crud!".
- "I warned you to leave me alone. Now I'm going to prank you so hard, you're both gonna poop a duke." was cut.