|"Format Wars II"|
|Season 6, Episode 16|
|Premiere date:|| February 12, 2015 (US)|
November 9, 2015 (UK)
"I See Turtles"
"Happy Birthday Song Contest"
"Format Wars II" is the sixteenth episode in Season 6 (and the one-hundred and sixty-ninth episode overall) of Regular Show. It first aired on February 12, 2015.
The Discmasters must put an end to the Format Wars.
Mordecai, Rigby, Muscle Man, High Five Ghost, and Benson want to pick up a movie on laser disc, however they are greeted by Archie the Archivist. Archie shows the gang a second prophecy of a new format arising and a fifth disc master. The fifth disc master is none other than Benson, who at first is reluctant but manages to go along with it.
To begin on their quest they must find the "Universal Remote", an object of great power, capable of destroying the new format, they are able to track it by using Benson as a type of tracking beam, however once they find it Muscleman tries to take it, as he states "This is just like pulling the sword from the stone!", however he fails and gets shocked (literally). Archie reminds the gang only the fifth disc master can take it, so Benson gives it a try and feels proud of himself since he was able to do something Muscleman couldn't!
After they retrieve the remote, the new format DVD arrives, but was no match for the guardians alone. He calls upon the Internet for assistance, and soon a battle erupts. The gang takes cover trying to use the remote, however they needed the exact code for the DVD (being a universal remote, it must be manually programmed). While the gang try to figure this out reinforcements arrive, the first computer ever created ENIAC joins the battle, however it is short lived when he trips and explodes.
After a bunch of fighting later, Archie and the master of the DVD combat each other, it is then revealed that the DVD master is Archie's son! After a heartfelt talk, DVD feels sorry for what he has done and wishes to reconcile with his father, however Internet comes in and kills Archie, since laser disc is obsolete, and quickly turns on DVD believing streaming to P.C.s, laptops and tablets is the future! DVD is devastated and goes to help out the gang with the remote, DVD gives the gang the correct codes for them to fight back, however nothing can hurt Internet unless they destroy the wi-fi tower. Using the codes DVD gave them, they are able to take control of everyone on the battlefield and direct fire at the tower, which then disables the Internet.
Now we return to the park, where DVD, Archie's ghost, Reel-to-Reel and the rest of the gang watch the movie that took all that effort to get. But internet approach the window unnoticed and states that he will make streaming the future!
- Muscle Man
- Hi Five Ghost
- Archie the Archivist
- Guardians of Obsolete Formats
- Ampex Quadruplex
- VC-Arbitrator (Cameo, on tapestry)
- Ancient Order of the VHS (Cameo, on tapestry)
- Benson is the fifth DiscMaster.
- During the battle, the Wilhelm Scream can be heard.
- It is unknown what format was used at the end of the episode.
- This is the only episode outside of the "Terror Tales of the Park" Halloween specials that have roman numerals so far.
- During the battle against DVD, upon the All-Format Army's arrival, there is an unknown guardian to the right of Archie.
- This episode is the sequel to the Season 4 episode "The Last Laserdisc Player", which takes place three months after the event.
- The way the Discmasters find the location to the universal remote is a loose reference to "Raiders of the Lost Ark".
- The remote being stuck in stone is a reference to King Arthur and the Sword in the Stone.
- The two-legged DVD-shooting robots are a possible reference to the ED-209 from the movie "Robocop"
- Sam's Electronics is a parody of Best Buy, Circuit City, and Fry's Electronics. And also the name is referenced to Sam's Club.
- The employees at Sam's Electronics wore the same blue uniform that worn by the Best Buy employees and vehicles similar to geek squad cars can be seen parked out front.
- On the tapestry, when they show the part of Mordecai, Rigby, Muscle Man, and Hi-Five Ghost defeating VHS, the shape of Muscle Man resembles Skips.