| This article is under the scope of the Episode Cleanup Project and has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality. It may contain errors, spelling, grammar and structure issues, or inconsistent formats. Reader's discretion is advised until fixing is done.|
You can help clean up this page by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate.
|Season 1, Episode 4|
|Premiere date:|| September 27, 2010 (USA)
March 23, 2011 (UK)
|Directed by:||Mike Roth|
"Caffeinated Concert Tickets"
In an attempt to win a game of punchies, Rigby steals a page from a martial arts book, and becomes obsessed with using the listed move.
Mordecai and Rigby are about to play a new video game called Dig Champs on the video game system. Mordecai takes the Player 1 spot, but Rigby protests, saying that he wants to be Player 1 because Player 1 has a shovel instead of a pickaxe. They play punchies to resolve the dispute, with Mordecai winning easily. Rigby's hatred of punchies is shown via a flashback in which Muscle Man, Pops, and Skips are all seen beating him. Skips in fact beat him so badly that he required surgery on his butt, leading Mordecai and Muscle Man to call him 'the one cheek wonder'.
Rigby, angry and humiliated, runs upstairs and trashes Mordecai's side of the room. He finds ad in a phone book for a martial arts class called Death Kwon Do, which he then attends. Despite the class being intended for self-defense, all Rigby wants to use the moves for is for revenge against Mordecai, which the Sensei does not appreciate. Because Rigby isn't pure at heart, the Sensei won't give him the Death Punch page that he wants. After an argument over the Sensei's mullet, Rigby steals the death punch from the book and runs off.
After learning that he needs a mullet and cutoffs to execute the Death Punch, Rigby becomes an expert. He conquers the park with his new punch, avenging his defeats and making the park workers his slaves. Mordecai discovers the source of Rigby's powers and in response learns another Death Kwon Do move.
Mordecai challenges Rigby to another game of punchies, and Mordecai's move causes a stalemate against the punch, with the earth crumbling around them due to the force of the battle. Rigby then finds that Mordecai learnt the Death Block. As they sink deeper and deeper into the ground, Rigby will not stop fighting until he beats Mordecai at punchies. Mordecai then remembers how many times he beat Rigby in punchies. In order to save themselves, Mordecai pretends that Rigby beat him, falling onto the ground and "moaning" in pain.
Rigby is delighted to have finally won, but distraught that they are going to die in their pit, which is rapidly filling with lava. Mordecai has two moves that can get himself and Rigby out of the lava pit: the Death Dump and the Death Jump. They choose the latter and escape from the pit.
Back at the house, he lets Rigby be Player 1 in the video game they were playing earlier, Dig Champs. When Rigby loses on the first round in the first few seconds, he wants to be Player 2 instead, ending the episode.
- Despite having short hair, Rigby is able to comb his hair into a mullet.
Pop Culture References
- During the scene where Rigby is trying to master the Death Punch, the song "You're the Best" by Joe Esposito plays. The song is from the 1984 movie "The Karate Kid".
- At the end of the episode where Rigby says that he wants to be Player 2, a sound effect from the 1980 arcade game 'Berzerk' is heard. Though this sound effect comes from the 'Atari 2600' port of the game where a robot fires at the player.
- In the notebook, the Death Jump was depicted in a cannonball position. However, Mordecai demonstrates it in a different position.
- Before playing Dig Champs, Mordecai tells Rigby to pick his player, but Mordecai does it for him instead.
- When Rigby was continuously Death Punching Mordecai, Muscle Man's eyes were apparently healed. During the Death Jump, his eyes were busted again.
- When Skips wants to hit Rigby, it is seen that Mordecai does not have his white stripes in his arms.